Eastern West Indies

The Moravian Church Eastern West Indies Province

Cashew Hill
P.O. Box 504
St. John’s, Antigua, West Indies

Office phone: 268-560-0185
FAX: 268-462-0643
PEC Chair: The Rev. Dr. Cortroy Jarvis
Email: cjarvis.ewip@gmail.com

Origins

From its first mission in St. Thomas in 1732, the Moravian Church spread into many other islands of the Caribbean. The Church came to St. Croix, Virgin Islands, in 1734. From these initial efforts in the Virgin Islands in St. John, Virgin Islands, in 1741, the Moravian Church spread out to Antigua in 1756; to Barbados in 1765; to St. Kitts in 1777; and to Tobago in 1790. The close of the eighteenth century found the Moravians firmly established in all these islands. In the nineteenth century, work was started in British Guiana (now Guyana) in 1878 but subsequently became a separate province. Also in the nineteenth century, work was started in Trinidad in 1890. In 1907, work was started in Santo Domingo and the congregations there merged with the Dominican Evangelical Church (Methodist, Presbyterian, United Brethren) in 1960. In 1994, Moravian work in Tortola was officially recognized as a part of the province.

The impetus for the expansion of the Moravian Church in the Caribbean was a burning desire to take the Gospel of Jesus Christ to all oppressed peoples. Genuine Christian concern motivated these missions.

In addition to preaching the gospel, the Moravian Church was active in providing an education for the slaves. It was one of the first organized religious bodies to establish primary and secondary schools for slaves in the West Indies.

The Eastern West Indies Province of the Moravian Church can be justly proud of its contributions to the religious, social, and cultural heritage in the many islands of the Caribbean where it is located today.

Current Scope Of Ministry

Antigua

Spring Gardens – 1773
Gracehill – 1791
Grace Bay – 1791
Newfield (Enon) – 1817
Cedar Hall – 1822
Lebanon – 1838
Five Islands – 1838
Gracefield – 1840
Greenbay – 1845
Bethany – 1870
Potters (Zion) – 1881
Cana – 1883
Urlings – 1987
Judges Hill – 1992
Cashew Hill – 1993

Barbados

Sharon – 1768
Mount Tabor – 1825
Calvary – 1834
Clifton Hill – 1841
Dunscombe – 1860
Centenary – 1866
Gracehill – 1882
Fulnec – 1894
Penuel – 1914
Bethlehem – 1964

Tobago

Montgomery – 1790
Moriah – 1840
Spring Gardens – 1851
Bon Accord – 1861
Black Rock – 1869
Bethesda – 1874
Evangel – 1989
Buccoo – 1996
U.S. Virgin Islands
New Herrnhut – 1737
Bethany – 1741
Friedensthal – 1755
Nisky – 1771
Friedensberg – 1771
Emmaus – 1782
Friedensfeld – 1801
Memorial – 1843

Trinidad

Rose Hill – 1890
Chaguanas – 1894
Belmont – 1895
L’Anse Noire – 1905
Memorial – 1983

St. Kitts

Zion – 1774
Bethesda – 1819
Bethel – 1832
Estridge – 1839

Leadership

The Provincial Elders Conference consists of:

  • The Rev. Dr. Cortroy Jarvis(Chairman)

Board Of World Mission Involvement

The Rev. Errol Connor is the EWI representative. The BWM’s involvement with the EWI province is beginning to change now that a member of the BWM is also a member of the EWI PEC. Through this emerging relationship, the BWM and the EWI consult on ways that the two can work together to strengthen God’s mission in the Caribbean.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to top